Sometimes it’s hard to point out where the problem comes from and sometimes we have to double check if something really is happening. Today I’m going to teach you how to submit and trace bugs/errors on VNR as well as troubleshooting and accessing the forums.
Advance series Part 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
It’s easy to point out that the program has errors, but how do people determine whats the cause of it? Enter debugging. (Debug Monitor). Everything you do in VNR as well as what VNR is working on will be logged in the black screen (Debug Monitor).
- In the Visual Novel Reader folder > Scripts , there’s Debug VNR.cmd.
- Double click it. This will open up a cmd window that will let you see VNR’s behavior as well as launching VNR.
Scenario 1 : Red Text
Red text often denotes error. In this example, VNR has detected that the selected text thread in the game exceeded to the maximum allowed of characters which is set to 1000. It’s not an error in this case, this simply tells you that it can’t display the text because it exceeded 1000 characters.
In this example however, PPSSPP suddenly crashed after launching a game. Now this is something that should be reported.
Scenario 2: Nothings happening!
With VNR’s new PSP text hooking feature, people often wonder if VNR really works or not, if in doubt be sure to use the debugger. In this case, though there are no errors shown in the debug monitor, the log shows that VNR have tried every known PSP engine that it can detect but unfortunately it can’t detect anything at all.
- Take a screenshot of the problem with the debug console.
- Visit the Annot.me/Sakuradite.com (both are the same website) forums and make a thread. Ignore “Site under construction”. The forums are online and accessible.
- Log-in to your VNR account or register.
- The Subject(a) are the forum sections. Latest topics are listed in Topic(a). Go to Subject(a) > Visual Novel Reader
- To create a topic on the upper right beneath the black top menu click “+New” select at topic type, I usually select “Question”
- Fill in the text boxes with the necessary information and don’t forget to include the screenshot.
- Click submit
- Before reporting, make sure you are using the latest VNR. To update, you can force update via Spring Board. Click and swipe the Spring Board to the left and click “Update”. (as seen in Tutorial part 4)
- It’s best if you include these information on your post if you want someone to help you.
OS (operating system) : Ex Windows 7/8/8.1
Beyond the tutorials
Visit the official wiki for more technical details, documentation and stuff not covered in my simple guides.